Afghanistan: Taliban propose 3-month ceasefire against the release of 7,000 prisoners



The Taliban have offered a three-month ceasefire in exchange for the release of 7,000 of their prisoners by the Afghan authorities, a member of the government team negotiating with the rebels said Thursday (July 15th).

“It is a considerable requirement”Nader Nadery told reporters, adding that the Taliban also demanded that the names of movement leaders be removed from a ” blacklist “ of ONU.

→ INVESTIGATION. Faced with the advance of the Taliban, France grants asylum to its Afghan staff

Without commenting on the follow-up given to this offer from the Taliban, he stressed that the previous release of 5,000 of them last year, which was the condition set for the opening of inter-Afghan talks, had already been “A difficult requirement” to fill in and then “The violence had not ceased and on the contrary had increased”. Asked by AFP about this offer, the Taliban did not immediately respond.

Stalled talks

Talks between the Afghan government and the rebels have stalled since they began in September in Qatar’s capital Doha. The Taliban have seized large rural portions of Afghan territory over the past two months, thanks to an offensive launched in parallel with the final withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan, which began in early May and is expected to be completed by the end. August.

→ READ. Faced with the advance of the Taliban, France grants asylum to its Afghan staff

They notably made themselves masters of key border posts with Iran, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and, since Wednesday, Pakistan, access route to the ocean for Afghanistan, a landlocked country. Deprived of crucial American support, the Afghan forces offered little resistance and essentially controlled only the provincial capitals and the main roads.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *