The former armed soldier and wanted since Sunday in the Dordogne was arrested on Monday May 31 and seriously injured during his arrest, Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Twitter. The man was “Neutralized”, wrote the minister, congratulating the gendarmes and “In particular the GIGN” for their “Decisive action”. From a source close to the investigation, the man was “Wounded by bullets”.
According to the prefect of Dordogne, Frédéric Perissat, he was “Wounded by a riposte”. It turns out that “In the hands of the fire and rescue service for its medical treatment”, added the prefect during a press briefing. During the arrest, he “Opened fire several times on the men of the GIGN”, added General Pétillot, commander of the New Aquitaine gendarmerie region. “He was always in the suicidal logic” and was in “Border” from the search area, he said, adding that his injuries were “Serious”. This Monday, the gendarmerie had issued a call for witnesses.
– Gendarmerie de la Dordogne (@ Gendarmerie_024) May 31, 2021
More than 300 gendarmes mobilized
Since Sunday, the GIGNs of Toulouse and Satory, in the Paris region, and more than 300 gendarmes as well as dog teams, supported by at least seven armored vehicles and seven helicopters, have been trying to flush out this 29-year-old man.
→ READ. Domestic violence: 16 “monitoring centers” for perpetrators opened by the end of the year
The former soldier, who was in the army from 2011 to 2016, and belonged to the Brive infantry regiment, had “ of a big game hunting weapon, a powerful weapon which is indeed a dangerous weapon General André Pétillot, commander of the New Aquitaine gendarmerie region, had specified to the press on Sunday.
“Every time there was contact he opened fire”
The drama had started in the night from Saturday to Sunday: this man, already condemned four times for domestic violence on his ex-partner, mother of his three children, presents himself at the home of the latter. He commits violence on it and shoots his new companion, without reaching him, according to the gendarmerie.
Sunday morning, the gendarmes had telephone contact with the suspect, equipped with an electronic bracelet, but then nothing. In the area where he had taken refuge ” contact had been made on several occasions sporadically but this had resulted in gunfire from the individual. Every time there was contact he opened fire », Had detailed in the afternoon the prefect of Dordogne. ” He shot the military (and) armored vehicles », Specified General Pétillot.
The 1,800 inhabitants of Lardin-Saint-Lazare had to take their troubles patiently. The town’s school remained closed on Monday, school transport interrupted, while a system of distribution of meals for the elderly was organized. The mayor, Francine Bourra, told AFP that confinement was maintained ” without accommodation except for medical emergencies and care and services for the elderly “.