330 cases of poisoning were recorded this summer, between July 1 and August 29.
Reading time : 1 min.
The General Directorate of Health (DGS) and the National Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety (ANSES) call for the vigilance of connoisseurs and occasional pickers of mushrooms.
Aided by the weather conditions in recent months, the season is ahead this year. Between July 1 and August 29, 330 cases of poisoning have already been reported to poison control centers. Three deaths have also been listed.
The risks of poisoning are multiple: confusion of an edible species with a poisonous species, consumption of edible mushrooms in poor condition or undercookedHealth authorities
The poisonings are mostly of low severity, the symptoms observed being mainly digestive, with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or even diarrhea.
The DGS, ANSES and the poison control centers therefore recommend in particular to collect only the mushrooms perfectly known to the pickers and to have them checked by a pharmacist or a mycology association if there is the slightest doubt. “Some highly poisonous mushrooms are very similar to edible species. Poisonous mushrooms can also grow where you picked edible mushrooms another year.”
If people were most often intoxicated during a meal, the authorities note that “3% of cases followed the ingestion, by a child or an adult with cognitive impairment, of a piece of inedible mushroom found in the garden or schoolyard. In a few cases, confusion with an edible species was linked to the use of a digital fungus recognition application. “