“Eight people were taken care of by the firefighters and 13 people went to the emergency room for intoxication problems,” the prefecture announced on Tuesday.
Reading time : 1 min.
About twenty people were poisoned on Tuesday, April 13, after the implementation of braziers by arborists from two towns in the Tarn fearing for their orchards already affected by the frosts of last week, said the prefecture.
“Significant smoke releases were caused by the fire of 150 tonnes of straw fed by diesel fuel (…), with smoke which spread over 5 km” around Amber and Lavaur, said the prefecture in a press release. “Eight people were taken care of by the fire brigade and 13 people went to the emergency room for intoxication problems”, she added, specifying that the fumes had also caused a strong impediment to traffic.
Eight vehicles and 32 firefighters were hired to extinguish the fire, as well as four ambulances to rescue people intoxicated by the release of smoke, according to the same source.
“The departmental health regulations provide that open-air fireplaces used to protect crops and vineyards against frost cannot be powered by fuels likely to cause opaque fumes or toxic combustion products”, recalled the prefecture.